Homemade Vegetable Soup + Soda bread
Vegetable soup for approx 8 people
- 1 large onion
- 1 leek
- 1 large carrot
- 3 florets of brocolli including the thick part of the brocolli chopped small
- A handful chopped cabbage
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 courgette
- 3 sticks celery
- 4 asparagus (optional)
- 3 tsp fresh parsley
- 3 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- A good 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 knob irish butter
- 1 organic veg stock cube
- 1 chicken stock pot
- Good pinch ground black pepper
- 1tbs oil for frying
- In a heavy based pot add oil and saute off chopped onion and leek for a few mins.
- Add carrot and celery and saute for a further 5 mins.
- Add the rest of the veg butter and seasonings.
- Cover the veg with boiling water from kettle. (Approx 1 1/2 pints).
- Bring to boil. Reduce to a low heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- Blitz till smooth or leave a few chunky veg for more of a bite
- I find adding a knob of butter gives a silky quality to the soup.
- Serve with the bread and a bit of real irish butter (no spreads)
- 70zs sieved Neills soda bread flour
- Good pinch pink rock salt
- 200mls butter milk approx
- Sieve flour into bowl. Add good pinch rock salt and combine.
- Make a small well in centre of flour.
- Add butter milk slowly and combine into a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured board and knead slightly.
- With a floured rolling pin shape into a 1/2 inch round.
- Flour a heavy based pan and put pan on a medium heat.
- Gently add your bread to pan and leave for 10 mins till it has a nice golden crust or thick skin.
- Shake pan now and then so dough wont stick.
- Lower heat if you feel its cooking too quick.
- Flip over to other side and cook again for 10 mins.
- Turn onto wire rack to cool.
- Split with knife when cool into portions spread with real irish butter (no spreads or low low alternatives!!!)Download
Surf n Turf Salad with citrus dressing
For the dressing:
- 1 medium lemon, juice and zest
- 1medium orange, juice and zest
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- For the steak
- 3 x 120g fillet steaks
- 300g raw prawns
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of ½
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
For the salad:
- 100g watercress
- 100g mixed salad leaves
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and sliced
- 7 to 8 mint leaves
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced
- 2 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp macadamia nut, toasted and roughly chopped
- Chive lengths, to garnish
- Oil and butter, to fry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the dressing, add the lemon and orange juices and zest into a bowl together with the vinegar and sugar. Add the chives and pour in the olive oil and whisk very well. Check the seasoning, add salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To cook the steak, heat a large frying pan with butter and oil over a medium high heat.
Add the steak and leave to sear, basting from time to time. This will take about 2 to 3 minute on each side depending on the thickness of the meat and cook until how you prefer your doneness. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, leave to rest, covered to keep warm for about 3 to 4 minutes.
To cook the prawns, in a second frying pan, heat butter and oil, add the garlic, chilli and lemon juice and zest and sauté for 1 minute.
Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes or until they are pink and cooked.
To serve, arrange the watercress, mixed lettuce leaves, cucumber and mint leaves on a large serving platter.
Spoon over a little dressing and arrange the mango and avocado slices over the top.