Prosciutto and Goats Cheese with Melon Strawberry Salad
For the salad
- 1 melon of your choice, peeled and diced
- 200g strawberries, hulled and sliced in half (keep few for garnishing)
- A generous handful of baby salad leaves, rocket, beetroot etc.
- Chive lengths, to garnish
For the prosciutto and cheese
- 150g soft goat’s cheese
- 6 large slices prosciutto di Parma
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives
- For the dressing
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 orange, juice
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 ripe avocado
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare the prosciutto roll, place the prosciutto di Parma slices on a piece of parchment placed on a piece of plastic wrap, over lapping each piece of prosciutto di Parma.
- Spoon the goat’s cheese thickly along the one edge, sprinkle the chopped chives on top and roll up tightly. Place in the fridge to set for at least 3 to 4 hours.
- To prepare the dressing, pour the lemon and orange juice, olive oil, honey and thyme into a food processor. Slice the avocado in half, remove the stone and spoon the flesh into the food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, mix the diced melon and some of the strawberries with the salad leaves in a bowl.
- Spoon them onto a large serving platter. Drizzle over a little dressing.
- Unwrap the cheese prosciutto roll and slice it with a sharp knife. Arrange slices over the salad and spoon more dressing on top.
- Garnish with a few strawberry halves and chive lengths.
Aunty Bernadette’s Beef Stew Recipe
- 4 to 5 lbs. of round steak cut into 2 inch square pieces
- flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- splash of Worchester sauce
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 lbs. of carrots
- 1 diced onion
- 4 diced cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1500 ml beef stock
- 150 ml red wine
- Some extra flour for thickening later
- 250 g button mushrooms
- Coat meat with seasoned flour and brown on both sides in a heavy based saucepan.
- Remove meat from saucepan and place in the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- Add onions and garlic to saucepan and sauté them for circa 5 minutes and add to casserole.
- Add chopped carrots to saucepan and allow them to sweat for 15/20 minutes – stirring them regularly to make sure they don’t stick and then add to casserole dish.
- Add Worchester sauce and paprika and mustard.
- Then pour beef stock red wine over entire casserole.
- Bake in an oven at 175 C / gas mark 4 for 2 hours.
- When casserole is within 30 minutes of being finished, fry the button mushrooms until browned and add them to the casserole for final 30 minutes.
- Check seasoning at this point and if more pepper is needed add it at this stage.
- Serve with boiled floury potatoes or mash on the side.
Download recipe here: