Ingredients for the Lobster and Crab with Orange and Yogurt Dressing
1 whole lobster
1 whole crab
Mixed fresh salad leaves 1 tbsp orange juice 2 tbsp yoghurt Herbs and Flowers to garnish
To cook the lobster and crab, simply place then live in a pot of cold water and bring to the boil.Once the water comes to the boil, turn off the heat, leave to rest for 5 mins.Pour out the water and set aside to coolOnce cold remove all the meat from the crab and the lobster and add to a bowl
into the bowl add orange juice and yoghurt, add just enough to coat the meat but not too much that the orange and yoghurt overpower the flavour of the crab & lobsterServe on a platter covered with locally grown leaves and herbs and wild garlic.
Ingredients for the Smoked Scallop and Bacon
1 knob of butter
1 small piece of bacon
1 Scallop per person
Open the scallop and cut away the entrails around the scallop and remove the scallop from the shell, clean and rinse the shell and place the scallop back in the half shell.
Add a knob of butter and a small piece of bacon on top of the scallop and place the shell directly into a peat fire and cook directly in the fire for 2-4 mins.
Once cooked remove the shell carefully from the fire as the shell will be very hot.
Ingredients for Wheaten Bread
Makes 2 bannocks of bread
340g plain flour
340g coarse whole meal flour
1 tbsp caster sugar,
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp heaped of baking soda
1 pint wheat bran
600ml quality buttermilk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Sieve the plain flour, caster sugar, salt and baking soda in a bowl.To this add coarse whole meal flour and the wheat bran.Stir well and then pour in the buttermilk & vegetable oil Mix well and divide the mixture between two loaf tins and place in the centre of the oven at 200ºC, gas mark 6 or 392°F for 45mins. To check that the loaves are properly cooked, tip each one out of the tin and tap the base, It should sound hollow, if not return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Tip out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Sesame Salmon with a Sweet & Sour Salsa
For the Salmon:
- 600g fillet of salmon, skinned & cut into 4cm cubes
- 75ml oyster sauce
- 100g black sesame seeds
- 2 little gem or baby romaine lettuce
- For the salsa:
- 1 mango
- 150g strawberries
- 1 cucumber, deseeded.
- 1 carrot
- 40g sugar
- 6 tbsp. rice vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 lime juice and zest
- Fresh coriander
- Lightly coat the salmon with oyster sauce and cover with the sesame seeds.
- In a medium – hot frying pan, fry the sesame salmon until just cooked. Be careful not to overcook.
- For the salsa, cut the mango, strawberries, cucumber and carrot into very small cubes.
- Add the sugar, salt, lime juice and zest and the rice vinegar and let it macerate.
- Just before serving add freshly chopped coriander.
- With the lettuce make some nice bite sized “cups” add to each one cube of salmon and dress with the salsa adding mostly fruit and veg and just a little of the juice. Decorate with fresh coriander and serve immediately.