Aunty Bernadette’s Beef Stew Recipe
As Seen On
Serves 4 – 6
- 4 to 5 lbs. of round steak cut into 2 inch square pieces
- flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- splash of Worchester sauce
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 lbs. of carrots
- 1 diced onion
- 4 diced cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1500 ml beef stock
- 150 ml red wine
- Some extra flour for thickening later
- 250 g button mushrooms
Method Of Cooking :
- Coat meat with seasoned flour and brown on both sides in a heavy based saucepan.
- Remove meat from saucepan and place in the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- Add onions and garlic to saucepan and sauté them for circa 5 minutes and add to casserole.
- Add chopped carrots to saucepan and allow them to sweat for 15/20 minutes – stirring them regularly to make sure they don’t stick and then add to casserole dish.
- Add Worchester sauce and paprika and mustard.
- Then pour beef stock red wine over entire casserole.
- Bake in an oven at 175 C / gas mark 4 for 2 hours.
- When casserole is within 30 minutes of being finished, fry the button mushrooms until browned and add them to the casserole for final 30 minutes.
- Check seasoning at this point and if more pepper is needed add it at this stage.
- Serve with boiled floury potatoes or mash on the side.