Lilian Parkes’ Lamb Shanks with Bacon & Red Wine, Served with Colcannon Potato
- 4 lamb shanks
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil for pan
- 8 rashers of back bacon, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- Drop of red wine
- Tin of plum tomatoes
- 2 Beef stock cubes (made into liquid)
- 1 tbsp gravy granules
- Pre heat the oven to 170⁰c.
- Season the lamb shanks, heat some oil in a large casserole pan and brown the meat on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Approx 7-10mins while prepping celery & leek.
- Add some more oil to pan and cook the bacon, celery and leek until golden, then add garlic and cook for another minute. Pour in the wine and bring to the boil – simmer for 2-3 minutes. 15mins in total for all this section.
- Add tomatoes and stock and stir well. Sprinkle in gravy granules and ensure dissolved properly. Return lamb shanks to the pot, cover and roast in the oven for 1½-2hours.
Ingredients (Colcannon potato for 4 x adults) :
- 5 Large potatoes quartered
- 3 Iarge leaves from green cabbage (cut out stem & slice)
- Medium spring onions (aka scallions) snipped into small pieces
- Butter (optional)
- Salt the water when boiling spuds
- Add milk, enough to just cover & softly cook the cabbage & scallions.
- You can also add butter to the milk (that’s optional).
- After potatoes mashed & contents of pot mixed into potatoes, serve on plate & top with knob of butter & sprinkle of pepper.
** Total prep & cooking time is 2 – 2.5hrs.