Citrus Cakes with Green Tea & Ginger Infusion Syrup
As Seen On
Downloadable Link : Recipe
Makes 8 cakes
For the cake:
- 2 unwaxed mandarins, sliced with skin on
- 160g softened butter
- 160g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 unwaxed lemon zest only
- 2 oranges, cut into segments
For the Green Tea Syrup:
- 150g caster sugar
- 250ml strong green tea
- Juice of 2 and zest of one unwaxed lemon
- 2-3 cm of fresh ginger grated
Method of Cooking:
- To make the syrup, place the caster sugar, lemon zest, ginger and green tea in a saucepan, heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for about 10-12 minutes until a light syrup forms. Remove from the heat to cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 165°C/gas 4. Brush the bases of the 8 x 12cm diameter mini cake tins with butter and flour them all to avoid the cakes to stick. Lay one slice of mandarin at the bottom centre of each tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and whisk until very frothy and light. Fold in the plain flour, baking powder and lemon zest. Pour into the buttered tins and fill them to about two thirds. Bake for about 20 minutes. To check insert a skewer into the centre of the cake when it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and remove the tin and place on a cooling rack.
- While the cake is still warm, pour over the green tea syrup and add the orange segments as garnish.