Traditional Irish Breakfast
Downloadable Link : Full Irish Breakfast Recipe + Bircher Muesli Recipe
Serves 4 – based on 2 items per person
Full Irish Breakfast Ingredients
- 8 sausages
- 8 bacon slices
- 8 portobello mushrooms (allow 2 per person)
- 8 eggs
- 1 black pudding
- 1 white pudding
- 2 vines of cherry tomatoes
- 35ml milk (full cream)
- knob of butter
- pinch of oregano
- salt and pepper to season
- knob of butter for the mushrooms
Potato Cakes Ingredients
- 700g potatoes
- 30g butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- sunflower oil & butter for frying
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp of milk for mixing (it may need a little more if mixture too dense, it depends on the potatoes used)
Potato Cakes Method
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water until tender, drain well and sieve into a bowl.
- Add the milk, butter, egg yolks, salt & pepper and mix well.
- Sprinkle some flour on the counter to prevent sticking and empty the mix out of the pan onto the counter,
- Shape and roughly flatten the mixture to about 1 inch in height, then using a scone cutter cut out evenly shaped potato cakes from the mixture, re folding and re-flattening the mix as you need making sure not to twist the cutter to much when lifting.
- In a frying pan, melt the butter and add the sunflower oil and fry the cakes gently on both sides until golden brown.
- Clean and remove the stem from each mushroom, place in an oven proof dish or baking tray with the underside facing up
- Place a small piece of butter into each and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Cook in the oven Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F) for 15 minutes.
- Keep on the vine, and place the vines directly into an oven proof dish or baking tray and drizzle with some olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Cook at Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F) for 10 – 15 minutes until cooked
- Place sausages in an oven proof dish or baking tray and oven cook at Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F) for 20 minutes turning occasionally, until they get a nice golden brown colour.
Black & White pudding
- Cut each pudding into slices and place slices in a oven proof dish or baking tray and oven cook at Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F) for 10 minutes turning occasionally, until cooked
- Place the bacon into in a oven proof dish or baking tray at Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F) for 10 minutes turning occasionally, until they become crispy
Scrambled eggs –
- Lightly whisk the eggs, milk and a pinch of salt together until all the ingredients are just combined.
- In a frying pan, melt 85gm of butter don’t allow the butter to brown as it discolour the eggs.
- Pour in the beaten mixture, let it sit, without stirring, for 20 seconds.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, lifting and folding it over from the bottom of the pan.
- Let it sit for another 10 seconds then stir and fold again, repeat until the eggs are softly set & slightly runny in places.
- Remove from the heat and leave for a few seconds to finish cooking.