Jacinta’s Homemade Scones
Downloadable Link : Full Irish Breakfast Recipe + Bircher Muesli Recipe
- 450g plain white flour 25g caster sugar
- 85g butter 2 eggs
- 200ml milk 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 inch scone cutter (I prefer them small) pinch of salt
- For fruit scones add For cherry & walnut scones add
- 60g Raisins 30g Glace Cherries
- 30g Chopped Walnuts
- In a large bowl, sieve all the dry ingredients together.
- Chop the butter into cubes and rub in gently until it has the consistency of bread crumbs, don’t do it for too long or the butter will melt .
- In a jug mix the milk with the eggs (holding some egg back to brush on top of the scones), then add the liquid a little at a time to the dry ingredients and using one hand combine it all together into the dough until smooth. If you don’t need all of the liquid don’t add it. Just add enough until it comes together.
- Add in the fruit or nuts and combine then turn out on the dough onto a cold counter or work board.
- Knead very lightly just enough to bring it into a round shape and pat down, It should be at least 2.5 inch thick.
- Cut out the scones as closely as possible avoid twisting the dough as you cut, as twisting the scone mix will result in an uneven rising.
- Once cut, brush the top of each scone with the remaining beaten egg mix for a shiny glaze. I always leave my scones stand just a little before putting them in the oven. I believe you get a better rise on them.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 425°F/220°C/Gas 8 on upper shelf position for 8-10 min approx depending on the oven.
- Take out and cool on a wire rack but best eaten warm.