Shelia Kirwan Brown bread
Downloadable Link : Nettle & Leek Soup served with Homemade Brown Bread Recipe + Orzotto Recipe
Brown Bread Ingredients:
- 250g strong white flour
- half a tsp salt
- half a tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bread soda
- 250g Hearts Delight wheaten meal flour
- 2 handful wheat bran
- 1 handful wheat germ
- 1 handful oat bran
- 1 handful pinhead oatmeal
- 450ml buttermilk
Methods of Cooking:
- Mix white flour, wheaten meal flour, salt, bread soda, baking powder together and sieve well into bowl.
- Add wheat bran, wheat germ, oat bran, pinhead oatmeal and mix well together lifting up to incorporate air to mixture.
- Make a well in centre and add most of buttermilk, approx 450 ml mixing by hand.
- Work quickly and form into round loaf shape.
- Place on heated baking tray.
- Place a cross on loaf and cook in preheated oven at Gas Mark 7, 220°C (425°F) for 40 mins.
- Turn loaf over and cook for further 5 mins.
- Loaf will be hollow in sound when tapped.