1 kg sour cabbage leaves
300 g smoked meat (bacon, ribs, roughly chopped)
400 g sour cabbage (finely chopped)
2 laurel leaves or Bay Leaves.
1 teaspoon mixed ground black pepper
For the Stuffing
2 tablespoons oil 200 g onion (finely chopped)
30 g bacon (finely chopped)
400g minced pork
400g minced beef
4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
80g white rice
100 ml water
1 teaspoon ground sweet pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the Roux
3 tablespoons oil 1 tablespoon flour 1/2 teaspoon ground sweet pepper 1 tablespoon tomato paste 300 ml water
- Sauté finely chopped onion and bacon in heated oil.
- Add minced meat, garlic, an egg, rice, water, ground sweet pepper, salt and black pepper. Stir well.
- Separate cabbage leaves from the root and cut off hard parts. Rinse under water.
- Add meat mixture to one leaf, roll and push the ends towards the middle.
- Take the half of chopped cabbage and spread it on the bottom of a pot. Spread smoked meat on top of the cabbage. Arrange the rolls circularly on top of everything, add laurel and black pepper and cover everything with the remaining chopped cabbage.
- Pour enough water to cover the cabbage and put on the stove to cook. When it boils, lower the heat and let simmer for 2 hours.
- For the roux, sauté flour on oil until it becomes light brown. Stir constantly, and slowly add sweet ground pepper, tomato paste and water.
- Add the roux to sarma and stir well. Let simmer for a little longer. Serve sarma with mashed potato.
Download a printer friendly version here