The name Oulart, which comes from the Irish word ‘abhallghort’ meaning orchard, Oulart is a small village in the south eastern corner of Ireland. It is situated in County Wexford just off the R741 regional road halfway between the towns of Gorey to the north and Wexford to the south. Raheenduff or “Black little fort” in English, is a small hamlet within the extremities of Oulart Village and is home of Cooney’s local grain store, Village Store and Public House, which has been managed by the Redmond family since the 1950s. The Battle of Oulart Hill took place near Oulart during the 1798 rebellion.
Viewers are treated to a visit of Tulach a’tSolais, Oulart Hill – “Deep in the pastoral landscape of Ireland’s County Wexford, a shaft of concrete cleaves through a green hill like the entrance to some futuristic burial mound.”
Tulach a’ tSolais was opened in 1999 with substantial Government financial backing it is in the words of TK Whitaker ‘dedicated to 1798 in its particular context of the European Enlightenment’. It is the largest and perhaps the most nuanced monument in the world to 1798. Scott Tallon Walker Architects where responsible for the construction with Ronald Tallon and Michael Warren being chiefly responsible for the “revolutionary design”.
Oulart Hill Development Group, is a voluntary grouping comprising volunteers from Oulart and the neighbouring parishes. Its members are linked into other organisations in the neighbourhood. The Group is working to develope a broad series of walks in their locality which will benefit the health of local communities and provide walking tourism infrastructure that they believe will in time enhance economic development of the wider region.