Atlantic Seafood Cooked in a Coconut Broth
Atlantic Seafood cooked in a coconut broth, basil & truffle mash & crisp green vegetables.
Generally, I prepare the stock in advance and then bring to the boil & add the fish just before serving. I ask my fishmonger give me fish bones to make the stock, otherwise fish or chicken stock cubes can be used.
The fish mixture is a matter of personal choice, however I usually use (cut up into even pieces):
2 salmon darnes
2 pieces of hake
1 bag of mussels
about 16 scallops
8 Dublin Bay prawns to garnish… when available (alternatively I buy large raw frozen prawns).
2 onions, 1 carrot & 2 stalks of celery finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter
3 cloves garlic and 1 knob of ginger finely chopped
1 mild chilli chopped
1 teaspoon of crushed fennel
1 teaspoon of sumac
Half tablespoon of cumin and coriander seeds roasted and crushed
4 crushed cardamom pods
2 pints of fish stock
2 tins of full fat coconut milk
Juice and rind of two to three limes
Seasoning… If needed
Pinch of sugar to taste, a touch of fish sauce and sweet chilli sauce
Roux to thicken slightly
Chopped chives, coriander, dill, basil
- Sweat onions, carrot and celery in oil and butter till soft on a very low heat. About 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and lime rind.
- Then add the stock. Cook for about 20 minutes. Strain through a sieve.
- Add the coconut milk, lime juice
- Adjust the seasoning
- Thicken marginally
- Bring the sauce up to a simmer.
- Drop in the tomatoes and cook for approx 2 minutes. Add the mussels, salmon, hake and prawns.
- Bring just to boil as fish will continue to cook.
- Add the herbs and serve immediately.
Basil mashed potato with truffle oil:
Roosters, cut into quarters, about 10 cooked in stock with 3 cloves of garlic.
- When soft place in a colander.
- Add cream, butter and milk to the sauce. When boiling add back in the potatoes. Basil leaves and whisk until creamy and light.
- Finally sprinkle over the truffle oil before serving.
- The potato can be cooked in advance and heats very successfully in a microwave.
- Serve with asparagus and fresh greens, 2 bunches of asparagus, and 2 heads of broccoli.