Homemade Vegetable Soup & Soda bread (serves 8) (Lusk)
1 large onion
1 large carrot
3 florets of brocolli including the thick part of the brocolli chopped small
A handful chopped cabbage
1 green pepper
3 sticks celery
4 asparagus (optional)
3 tsp fresh parsley
3 tsp fresh thyme leaves
A good 1/2 tsp curry powder
2 Bay leaves
1 knob irish butter
1 organic veg stock cube
1 chicken stock pot
Good pinch ground black pepper
1tbs oil for frying
- In a heavy based pot add oil and saute off chopped onion and leek for a few mins.
- Add carrot and celery and saute for a further 5 mins.
- Add the rest of the veg butter and seasonings.
- Cover the veg with boiling water from kettle. (Approx 1 1/2 pints).
- Bring to boil. Reduce to a low heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- Blitz till smooth or leave a few chunky veg for more of a bite
- I find adding a knob of butter gives a silky quality to the soup.
- Serve with the bread and a bit of real irish butter (no spreads)
70zs sieved Neills soda bread flour
Good pinch pink rock salt
200mls butter milk approx
- Sieve flour into bowl. Add good pinch rock salt and combine.
- Make a small well in centre of flour.
- Add butter milk slowly and combine into a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured board and knead slightly.
- With a floured rolling pin shape into a 1/2 inch round.
- Flour a heavy based pan and put pan on a medium heat.
- Gently add your bread to pan and leave for 10 mins till it has a nice golden crust or thick skin.
- Shake pan now and then so dough wont stick.
- Lower heat if you feel its cooking too quick.
- Flip over to other side and cook again for 10 mins.
- Turn onto wire rack to cool.
- Split with knife when cool into portions spread with real irish butter (no spreads or low low alternatives!!!)