Swedish Meatballs (Serves 4) (Kerry)
Swedish Meatballs with a Potato Puree, Pickled Cucumbers, Brown Sauce, Lingonberry Jelly Served with Jansson’s Temptation.
6-10 anchovies (save some of the liquid)
4-5 mid-size potatoes (350-400gr)
1-2 yellow onions or leek
2-4 tbsp butter
200-300ml whipping or double cream
- Clean and fillet the anchovy.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Sauté the onion lightly and leave to cool.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into battens, slightly thicker than match sticks.
- Butter an oven proof dish.
- Layer potatoes, onion and anchovy filets in the dish, starting and finishing with potato.
- Dollop the rest of the butter on top and pour over some of the anchovy liquid.
- Place dish into a medium hot oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, carefully pour in the cream into the dish.
- Keep cooking for 45-60 minutes.
- Make sure potatoes are cooked through before removing the dish from the oven.
This dish can be served immediately as a starter or as part of a larger buffet.
Meatballs with brown sauce & potato purée – Serves 4
600 gr beef mince 50 ml bread crumbs
200 ml whipping cream 1 small yellow onion
1 tbsp butter 1 medium egg
1.5 tsp salt 2 pinches white pepper
butter for frying
Meatballs – Method:
- Place the bread crumbs in the cream and leave to soak.
- Peal and finely chop the onion. Fry it gently until lightly golden. Leave to cool.
- Mix the minced beef with the onion, bread crumb mixture and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry a small tester if you wish, to make sure seasoning is correct.
- Shape small balls of the mixture and fry, in the butter, on a medium-high temperature. Lower the temperature and fry for another 3-5 minutes.
Potato purée: Serves 4
150ml milk, or as needed
salt & white pepper to season
Potato purée – Method:
- Peal the potatoes and celeriac. Cut the celeriac into potato sized pieces for even cooking.
- Boil potatoes and celeriac in lightly salted water, until cooked through.
- Press the potatoes and celeriac, mix in the butter and milk.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with brown sauce and lingon berry jam.
Brown sauce – 4 portions
2 tbsp cream
500ml beef stock
juice from meatballs
salt & white pepper to season
- Melt the butter in a pan. Leave to start browning slightly.
- Take off the heat and add in the flour. Mix well.
- Bring back to the heat again. Keep stirring the whole time.
- The mixture should have a slightly dark golden colour.
- Add in the stock, milk and cream and whisk until it is smooth and starting to thicken.
This will take approx. 10 minutes.
3 pinches salt
2 tbsp vinegar (12%)
2 tbsp sugar
0.5 pinch white pepper
2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Slice the cucumber thinly, with a knife or cheese slicer (peel first).
- Place in a wide bowl & sprinkle over the salt.
- Put a bowl or plate on top to press down the cucumber and leave for 30 minutes.
- Pour off the liquid.
- Mix vinegar, water, sugar, white pepper and chopped parsley.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Place the cucumber in a jar and pour over the liquid.
- Leave for an hour or so before serving.