Fish Molee – Keralan Style Fish Curry (Cabinteely)
Fish Molee – Keralan Style Fish Curry & Lemon and Turmeric Rice.
Contestant Liz Valour’s Dish
“Fish Molee. This one is my favourite and James loves it too. It is my best dish. It is easy and quick and looks effective.”
Half a thumb size piece of ginger.
I teasp mustard seed
1 green chilli finely chopped
10 curry leaves
One small onion finely chopped
3 dried red chillies.
1 tomato preferably not ripe
2 tablespoons vegetable Veg oil
1 tin coconut milk.
Half a teasp turmeric.
Handful of chopped coriander
350 g hake
Coriander for decoration
- Heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the mustard seed until it spits
- Add the ginger
- Add the green chilli
- Add the curry leaves
- Add onion
- Add the red chillis. I was given a tip years ago to add them all separately as it enhances the flavour of each spice.
- Add the chopped tomato.
- Add the coconut milk and a teasp of turmeric and allow come to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and add the pieces of hake.
- Add the chopped coriander and salt.
- Allow to cook slowly until tender.
- Squeeze lemon into the dish.
- Serve with rice and salad. Rocket Salad is really nice with this dish and chickpea curry.
Lemon and Turmeric Rice
225g Basmati Rice
2 tsp black mustard seeds
2 dried red chillies, roughly crumbled
1 tsp turmeric
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- Rinse the rice and place in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave for 20- 30 minutes. Drain in a sieve.
- Heat a pan. Add a tsp coconut oil, add the mustard seeds. When they start to spit add the chilli and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the rice and turmeric and stir fry for a few minutes. Add the lemon zest and juice and coriander leaves. Season well
- Pour over 450 ml of boiling water. Reduce the heat to very low and leave it undisturbed for 10 minutes. Fluff up the rice before serving.
Cucumber, Chilli and Mint raita
1 large cucumber, peeled, deseeded and coarsely grated.
250 g Bio live yogurt
1 fresh red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
8 tbsp finely chopped mint
Juice of half a lime
2 tsp of roasted cumin seeds
Salt to taste.
1 tsp honey
- Place the cucumber in a fine sieve and squeeze out all of the liquid from it and place it in a bowl.
- Add the yogurt, honey, chilli, mint, lime juice and cumin seeds seeds to the bowl and stir well.
- Season and chill for 20- 30 minutes before serving.